My apologies to those who follow me and noticed that my Confab post was not up on Thursday as it usually is! I was in a post-exam funk of sorts where I just couldn’t really get into the mood of writing a thoughtful post, so I decided to hold off for a couple of days. And I was reading How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller which I just didn’t want to put down to do anything else. Anyway, I’m back and will be in full swing now that exams are over!
I predominantly read books in English, so reviewing them in English was kind of a given. That and the fact that I’ve been mostly educated in English and live in a vastly English-speaking country. English is not the only spoken language around here but I don’t speak the other local languages. Although, English is strictly speaking not my first language. German is. When I was younger and my family moved here my father still made an effort to buy German books. Over time he stopped buying them since I learnt English and German books are more expensive. Recently I discovered that German books are available via The Book Depository at a reasonable price, so I ordered some, and I intend to keep up with both English and German books from now on.
Now, the primary reason I first set up this blog was to document all those books I read. Getting to know the book blogging community made me realize it’s also about the people. I love meeting new people, especially when we share the same interests. Hence books reviews are no longer my primary focus. Still, I want to continue documenting my reading life. This is where it gets a little tricky now. So here’s a list of questions I’m trying to tackle:
- Should I review German books in German or in English?
- Should I set up a separate section for German books or just combine with my English books?
- Should I review books only available in German in German, and books that are available in both languages in English, even if I read it in German?
- Should I review books only available in German in English anyway, in the hopes that they will eventually be translated into English?
- Should I leave them off this blog entirely and set up a German book blog? (Though that would mean extra time and effort to maintain another blog.)
- Should I leave them off this blog and just leave those reviews on Goodreads?
- Should I review in both languages? (Translate one review into the other language?)
- Should I attempt bilingual blogging?
Are you a bilingual reader/ blogger? How do you address these issues? If you’re a monolingual reader/ blogger, how would you like to see these issues dealt with?