This month’s topic of The Happy Place 5 is fall vibes. We decided to keep things open-ended to give ourselves a breather. I’ve technically taken an eight-month breather, and I’m barely surfacing again on the blogging front. Hah. But autumn is my favourite season. I love the hues of reds fading into yellows. Sadly, I live in the tropics. Instead of pretty colours, I contend with dreary monsoon thunderstorms. So, to cheer myself up, I turned to my bookshelves for my fall vibes picks.
All About the Fall Vibes
- When I think of book covers with the coziest fall vibes, Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett comes to mind. That cover was a huge reason why I decided to read it a couple of years ago. Joke’s on me though because this books starts in May and goes through summer.
- At least The Diviners by Libba Bray lived up to my season’s expectations. I listened to the audiobook six years ago while travelling around Europe. It fit the climate perfectly and added the creep factor in the lead-up to Halloween. This one also makes me smile because I picked it up just before the Frankfurt Book Fair where I got to meet Crini and Ellie in person for the first time.
- Roses and Rot by Kat Howard has such an eery look to it. I have yet to read it though, so I can’t actually tell you if the story has fall vibes to it.
- The Tesco special edition of Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor is my favourite of all editions. It makes me want to visit Prague in autumn more than any other time of the year. Even though I don’t remember the season this book is set in, it did give me chills.
- What’s autumn without the fallen leaves? So to round up my picks, the fifth is Down from the Mountain by Elizabeth Fixmer. I’d actually borrowed this book from the library, started it the day before it was due but didn’t manage to finish reading it. Since I was obsessed with books involving cults back then, I bought my own copy instead of waiting to borrow it again. This reminds me, there’s a Popsugar reading challenge prompt to read a DNF book from your TBR list, so I better get cracking.
The Happy Place 5 is a monthly feature for which we pick five books according to a specific theme. This is the namesake of a Discord group that I am a part of with a bunch of book loving friends who live across the world.