This month’s topic of The Happy Place 5 is new beginnings, particularly first book in series. We’re meant to share upcoming series were excited about but I’ve not been keeping up with new publications. Since I also own dozens of first books in series that I have yet to read, I decided to turn to my bookshelf. I picked out five series that I want to start this year, mostly based on how excited I was when I first acquired these books.
Top 5 Series on my TBR Pile
- Unplugged by Donna Freitas — I read another book, The Survival Kit, and really liked it, so I automatically added her next yet to be titled release onto my wish list. That book turned out to be Unplugged. Given the ongoing debate of the impact of smartphones and digital reality on our brains, sci-fi explorations always intrigue me.
- Passenger by Alexandra Bracken — I'll be honest. The cover of Passenger was so pretty and the book was all over Instagram at the time. Didn't put up much of a fight, caved, and bought it.
- Dissonance by Erica O'Rourke — Anything that bends reality intrigues me. Dissonance promised parallel worlds that multiplied as new choices were made. The idea of Walkers being able to travel between these worlds just sounded too good to pass up.
- Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine — A book about books; need I say more? Weave that into a dystopian world and it has to be good.
- Forget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn — Is it fair to punish someone for a crime they have yet to commit? This book considers this in light of futures that can be foretold. Instead of waiting for that future to happen, punishments are preemptively meted out to prevent crimes from happening before they ever do. This is a philosophical conundrum I thought would be very interesting to delve into in a work of fiction.
The Happy Place 5 is a monthly feature for which we pick five books according to a specific theme. This is the namesake of a Discord group that I am a part of with a bunch of book loving friends who live across the world.