This it the first time I’m participating in the Book Blogger Love-A-Thon. By this time last year I had just about broken out of my shell to interact with fellow bloggers. Then when Alexa announced it earlier this year, I thought, why not? And so, here I am!
If this is your first time visiting Word Revel, Welcome! If you’ve been here before, I’m glad you’re back! And I hope you still get to learn something new about me through the Love-A-Thon intro questions.
- What’s your name?
I’m Joséphine but most of my friends call me Jo.
- Where in the world are you blogging from?
The tropical island of Singapore, affectionately known as Little Red Dot.
- How did you get into blogging in the first place?
When I applied for internships in uni, a couple of interviewers asked me for writing samples and my social media presence. I figured a book blog would a good place to start since I’d also have my own place for book reviews beyond Goodreads.
- How did you come up with your blog name?
It took me almost a year of thinking up various names. My prerequisite was something short (best for a Twitter handle), related to books but not too restrictive and of course, memorable. Before that I blogged under Dudette Reads but that was more of a temporary name to get me going.
- What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?
Predominantly YA fiction. Though occasionally I also review adult fiction and non-fiction.
- What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?
Since I love photography, I share bookish photography tips and recently started Mise-en-scène, a book photography challenge/meme together with Georgie. Besides that, I’ve been posting discussion posts under Confab for more than a year now, though I also share thoughts and reflections inspired by books.
Besides photography and discussions, once in a while I also consider book covers in Book Cover Culture, where I compare book covers of translations and UNcover, where I examine covers to see if they match up with the actual stories of the books.
- Best blogging experience so far?
Times that authors responded to my book reviews, telling me they loved that I shared my thoughts. I’m always excited to interact with authors who wrote the books I loved.
- Favorite thing about the blogging community?
Being able to share my love for books with like-minded people. Also, making friends from around the world, talking about anything and everything under the sun.
- Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2015!
Well, there’re a lot of books I’m excited for and my top 5 change from day to day, depending on my mood. So here’re the 5 books for today, in no particular order:
- What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?
Definitely Red Ink by Julie Mayhew. I loved this book because it left such an impression on me but sadly, I’ve barely seen it around on the blogosphere.
- Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?
Caymen from The Distance Between Us by Kasie West. She’s so hilarious to be with and wonderfully sarcastic, she and I would totally get along well.
- Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests?
I already mentioned photography. My other hobbies are sports and baking.
- Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?
Shopping’s not really my thing. When I do need stuff, I prefer to just order online. But if I had to pick one thing, then I’d say clothes. Though even then, I prefer to order online than to brave the crowds in town.
- At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing?
I’d say practically anything by the Backstreet Boys. Then again, if it absolutely has to be one song, then Run, Run, Run by Tokio Hotel:
- Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book.
Letters to Juliet. The movie was lovely and I’m sure I would enjoy reading it as a book.