Rarely do I leave the house without a book. Since the age of 9 or 10, I’ve always had a book with me wherever I went. In fact, I wouldn’t feel complete without a book. I remember how my mother used to scold me about adding unnecessary weight to my bag. It didn’t matter if I had five textbooks to carry for school; a book to read for personal enjoyment always had space. That extra weight never is unnecessary. I always need to have a book in my bag.
The Companionship of a Book
Books offer companionship. I don’t care if I’m surrounded by people who won’t talk to me, as long as I can read. When I commute, I read in the subway and listen to audiobooks in the bus. Any time I spend waiting in queues, books keep me company. Books are why I don’t mind having to wait in line for half-an-hour. While other people impatiently tap their feet or glare at their watches, I happily lose myself in a book.
Perfect Time to Read
No matter how busy I am, there always is time to read. That time is commuting time. That hour spent travelling from one place to another is begging to be filled with something useful to do. While it’s good to spend some of that time daydreaming, there’s also no better time to read. As much as sitting by the pool, sipping a smoothie and reading a book sound very appealing, we don’t always have that luxury of time. Yet no matter how busy we are, sneaking in time to read isn’t impossible.
In my Bag/PurseWhen I pack my bag or a purse (I rarely carry one; they’re so small), there are a few times that I always include:
- Wallet & keys — I don’t think I need to explain why.
- Mobile phone — Also a given. I have an iPhone that’s my communication device, my music player, my map, my calendar, my camera… You get the drift.
- Earphones — I need them to listen to music or audiobooks. They’re also much more portable than headphones.
- Paperback book I’m currently reading — Paperbacks are usually small and light, which makes them very handy when carrying around.
- Kindle or iPad mini — Usually it’s one or the other. If I’m reading a non-fiction ebook with illustrations, I prefer to take along my iPad. For text-heavy ebooks I prefer my Kindle.
- Umbrella — I don’t like being caught in the rain and flash showers do happen.
- Water bottle — When daytime temperatures average at least 30ºC and can reach a real feel of 39ºC, keeping constantly hydrated is a must.
- Hardcover book I’m currently reading — It has to be reasonably exciting for me to want to carry that weight and I’ll only carry it if I don’t have a lot of other things to carry. If I don’t wish to carry this, then I only carry my Kindle.
- Portable charger — When I’m going to be out long, then I bring it along in case I need to charge my phone or my Kindle.
- iPod — If I think my phone can last without charging for the duration I’m out, I leave it at home, unless I have music on it that isn’t on Spotify because I didn’t load any music directly onto my phone. Data coverage is generally good and I have enough monthly bundled data for Spotify on my phone.
- Small notebook with a pen or pencil — I rather write down little notes on paper than type them all into my phone. I already spend a lot time looking at screens as it is.
- DSLR — I don’t tote it around with me all the time because of its weight. Usually I pack it when I’m attending a special event or am travelling abroad.
- MacBook — Thankfully I don’t need to carry it with me everywhere, the way I did during my undergraduate days. For the most part, I do things that require a computer at home.
Bottom line, reading materials always are a priority for me. I always make it a point to have a book in my bag. Even if I’m not sure that I’ll get to read my book at all, I rather carry it for nought 10% of the time than regret leaving my book at home 90% of the time.